Session 15/15Page 1/5 Your professional competency development
Your professional competency development
Competences to be exercised:
• Making a systematic evaluation of your development as foster parents and your foster children’s development.
Theme of the session:
In session 15 you will study four different areas of the outcome of your work with this training programme:
- The social, emotional and behavioural development of the foster child and the child/caregiver relations.
- Foster parents’ ability to understand and implement theory into daily practices of childcare.
- The relations between the foster parents and their social network.
- The relations with the authorities and biological parents/relatives.
Aims of the session:
The goals are to reflect and discuss your foster care development and compare your caregiving status at the start of the training with your present status in the above mentioned areas. When you compare the starting point of this Fairstart training with your present status, you should reflect upon:
- How did the training affect our ability to care for foster children?
- Have you created a foster family that is more social, more professional and more able to offer a secure base for children?
- How did the training and how does your foster care affect you as a family?
- If you are a single foster parent, please reflect – by yourself or with your supervisor, social worker or instructor– on your personal and professional development.