Session 4/15Page 1/5: Understanding Basic Attachment Theory: Your Platform for Professional Practices
Understanding Basic Attachment Theory: Your Platform for Professional Practices
Competences to be exercised:
• The skill of practising professional attachment behaviour.
• Knowledge of the dimensions: “Secure Base seeking” and “Exploration”, and how to support and encourage these two functions in babies and young children.
NB: Training Session 4 contains the basic theory that everybody should learn and know by heart.
Theme of the session:
In this session you are going to work with the importance of attachment theory for young children, and how your understanding affects the way you work in the rest of the sessions:
• Daily interaction and activities.
• Work to make children and teenagers feel so secure that they start to explore and learn.
You will learn about Attachment Behaviour, Secure Base Caregiver Behaviour and Exploration Behaviour.
Aims of the session:
• The main goal of this session is to understand the importance of Basic Attachment Theory in order to improve caregiver practice and secure children’s development.
• Children without stable biological parents are highly exposed to changes in terms of shifts among caregivers and replacements. This might cause later social and behavioral problems. The child’s social and emotional development is very much depended on your understanding of how important the caregiver attachment behaviour is.
In the following sessions you will work with the development of good practice.