Session 9/15Page 10/10 Work plan: Things to do before the next session
Work plan: Things to do before the next session
CHECKLIST FOR UNDERSTANDING
- What may cause insecure attachment behaviour in children?
- How do you recognize avoidant attachment behaviour?
- How can you act professionally towards avoidant behaviour?
- How do you recognize ambivalent attachment behaviour?
- How can you act professionally towards ambivalent behaviour?
- How do you recognize disorganized attachment behaviour?
- How can you act professionally towards disorganized behaviour?
- At which age of the child’s do you have the best chances of helping it develop secure attachments?
“I had a child that constantly hurt the other kids and the materials. He changed a little bit when I used the techniques that I learnt through this session. Sometimes, I feel like he is still testing me and waiting for a mistake.”
Staff member’s statement
Please re-read the descriptions of the typical behavioural characteristics with insecure attachment (you can also watch the video again) and consider the following:
- What strategies your child seems to exhibit. It is most clear in the beginning of the relationship with the foster parents, or in an everyday situation where the child is feeling insecure, overwhelmed or scared.
- Has the child’s attachment strategies changed throughout the relationship with its foster parents? Is the child able to handle more strain before he or she falls back into old patterns such as distrust or lack of faith in the fact that someone will help them? Does the child on a more frequent basis express positive perceptions of him/herself and his/her relationships? How early did we receive the child in our care? (This is also relevant when looking at how easy it is for the child to develop towards a more secure attachment).
THINGS TO DO BEFORE THE NEXT SESSION
Write down what you have decided about how to meet each of the three Insecure Attachment Responses in children.
Discuss how you can practice this in your daily work until next session.
What should you do differently and be more aware of?
How will you know that you succeeded?
Please record the new practice on video or write observations of what you do differently, and how the children respond to the way you care for them.
If you wish to do some self evaluation you can open and print this small quiz here below. The solutions are written in the bottom of the page, so maybe it´s a good idea to fold the paper or cover the solutions before you start.
Thank you for your interest and good luck with your work until next session!