Session 15/19Page 1/7 Preparing care leavers for life in society
Preparing care leavers for life in society
Competences to be exercised:
- Understanding the shift from care to adult life and independent living
- Understanding three major challenges for East African care leavers
- What can we learn by listening to experienced care leavers?
- Training daily skills and independence from childhood
- Preparing youth for leaving care
- Mentoring and community inclusion after care
Theme of the session: In this training session you will be introduced to the major challenges of East African care leavers. You will get inspiration for discussing and preparing care leavers for life after care – how to prepare them from childhood to leading an independent life in society.
Aims of the session: To help you plan care leaver support by preparing children and youth for a life in society after care. You can focus on one or more of these topics:
1. Training skills and independence from early childhood.
2. Preparing youth for leaving care.
3. Mentoring and methods for community inclusion after care.