Session 18/19Page 1/4 Engaging fathers in care for children and youth - Working in your local community
Engaging fathers in care for children and youth – Working in your local community
Competences to be exercised:
TOPIC A: Background knowledge
- Understand what prevents fathers from involving in family and child care.
- Understand the three elements of positive father engagement.
- Understand the importance of father’s engagement for child and teenage development.
TOPIC B: Planning community meetings for fathers
- How to plan and conduct discussion groups in your community to strengthen fathers.
- Encourage participants to find new positive ways of engaging fathers in families.
- Use a checklist to follow the steps in your planning and performance.
Theme of the session
In this training session you will be introduced to the challenges of East African fathers, the importance of father’s engagement in children, and how you can inspire communities to support fathers’ engagement.
Aims of the session
This session provides you with tools to become an inspiring facilitator. You work to help communities engage fathers in their families, and create stronger bonds between fathers and children.
Your role is to start group meetings in the local community to engage fathers. Once you have practised this session, you can train others to conduct community meetings and father strengthening activities.